Sugar Glider Veterinarian
in Broomfield, CO

all sugar gliders should be examined by a veterinarian


These visits allow the team at Broomfield Veterinary Hospital to perform a full-body assessment and discuss any necessary treatments, diagnostics, or diet modifications.

or call us at (303) 466-1764.

Here at Broomfield Veterinary Hospital, we’re proud to have a team of veterinarians who understand the needs of sugar gliders. An important component of your small furry friend’s care involves the annual wellness exam. We’ll be happy to discuss proper diet, housing, and any other topics related to their health and home life during these visits, whether you’re a first-time sugar glider owner or an experienced one.

Be sure to let us know if you’ve noticed any of the following signs, which could indicate an illness:

  • Watery eyes
  • Abnormal droppings
  • Lethargy
  • Labored breathing
  • Red, scaly skin
  • Excessive shedding
  • Dragging their hind legs

Caring for Your Sugar Glider at Home

The comprehensive wellness exam is our opportunity to care for your sugar glider and help them stay healthy, but the other 364 days of the year are your opportunity. The following are some of the most important things to remember when caring for a sugar glider at home:

As omnivores, wild sugar gliders can eat from various food groups. However, ideally, their diet should consist of nectar, pollen, tree sap, insects (as treats), small fruits, vegetables (grapes, apple pieces, blueberries, raisins, carrots, sweet potatoes, etc.), and protein. About 75% should come from fruits and veggies, and the other 25% from protein. Some protein examples include hard-boiled eggs, small pieces of cooked chicken or turkey, and peanut butter.

Sugar gliders should be kept in a tall, spacious cage about 20” x 20” x 30” with wire mesh or metal bars. Make sure the gaps are small enough to prevent escape. Keep the cage away from direct sunlight in a room that’s 59-86 degrees F.

Just like many other mammals, sugar gliders enjoy play time with toys, so buy plenty of them for your four-legged friend. Bells, tunnels, balls, bird toys, and chew toys are some examples of toys they’ll enjoy.

We’ll be happy to discuss these topics with you more in detail at your next visit.

pet sugar glider in Broomfield, CO

The Pros and Cons of Having a Pet Sugar Glider

The Pros and Cons of Having a Pet Sugar Glider If you’re seeking a small-sized pet that has a long lifespan and enjoys playful interaction with its owner, sugar gliders could be a delightful choice as pets. These friendly and calm creatures make great companions.

Read More »

Get the best care for your best friend.

request an appointment online
Skip to content